In order to assess students' competence and performance accurately
and fairly, the Japanese Section has set up the following grading
GRADING SCHEME (Japanese Section only)
PERCENT GRADE POINTS EVALUATION
100 - 95 A+ 9 EXCEPTIONAL
94 - 89 A 8 EXCELLENT
88 - 83 B+ 7 VERY GOOD
82 - 77 B 6 GOOD
76 - 71 C+ 5 COMPETENT
70 - 65 C 4 FAIRLY COMPETENT
64 - 59 D+ 3 PASSING
58 - 53 D 2 BARELY PASSING
52 - 47 E 1 MARGINALLY FAILING
46 - 0 F 0 FAILING
- Each student's final grade will be calculated based on the
above grading scheme.
- Tests, quizzes, assignments and attendance are calculated in
figures to avoid subjective assessment as much as possible.
- A grade of "B" or above is strongly recommended to
advance to the next level, although "C" is the minimum
- The grading percentages are set higher than in the standard
grading scheme because 10% of the total grade is
allocated for attendance and participation.
- The marks will be available on-line. Please check your
interim grades prior to the course drop deadline.
- Fractions are not rounded up. (e.g. 70.99% is considered as
C, but 71.00% is C+.)